Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pumpkin Granola: A Low-Fat Recipe

On my wish list to make for years: homemade granola.   The last time I tried making granola at home was with a toaster oven.  We were living in a two-room apartment in Vietnam at that time.  And, like when I tried to bake cookies, it was tricky to avoid burning the precious oats in such a tiny hot appliance.  So I stopped attempting to bake granola.

But I've longed to try again.  And after perusing various simple recipes, I settled on a recipe for pumpkin granola as my starting point.  Since I can't help but tweak most recipes I encounter, I decided to add coconut to my version.  Because from our time in Vietnam I also recall that pumpkin and coconut go very well together.  Try this granola and I think you will concur.

Pumpkin Granola Recipe
adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

Ingredients:
5 cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup flaked coconut, optional
1/2 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
almonds or pecans, optional (add last)


Directions:  
  1. Combine dry ingredients except for brown sugar, coconut and nuts, if using.
  2. In a separate bowl, blend together brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla.  Add wet mixture to dry mixture, stirring until oats are evenly coated.
  3. Spread granola out on a large parchment-lined baking tray.  Bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees F (160 C).  Stir granola and add in coconut.  Bake for 20 minutes more.  Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.  Add nuts if desired.

*An Alternate Idea*
If you aren't up for making granola yet, I highly recommend you take any leftover pie (such as pumpkin or pecan) lurking in your fridge and stir it into warm oatmeal.  It's a truly yummy flavor combination too!



Which would you rather eat on a chilly morning--granola or oatmeal? 


1 comment:

Jhona O. said...

I am so excited to try this! We love our homemade granola, but I think this sounds so yummy!!! I'm going to surprise my hubby with it:) I'm so glad you linked to this. You have so many little treasures on your blog!