The prospect of getting a gleaming medal for their efforts is another strong motivation for kids to get outside and have some winter fun. Begin creating these medals indoors and then freeze them outside if it's cold enough.
- Muffin tins (or mini-muffin pans)
- Assorted ribbons
- Yellow plastic bag (optional)
- Shiny coins (optional)
Our muffin tins went under the picnic table to shield them from falling snow.
- Fill muffin tins with water. Cut foil or other metallic materials to fit inside the cups. Cut ribbons lengths that are larger than people's heads.
- Optional: To make silver aluminum foil look gold, you can layer a circle of a yellow plastic grocery bag over the silver and crimp the edges to hold the yellow plastic in place.
- Optional: Ask kids which materials they think will float in the water. Which will sink? Drop in coins and foil circles to find out.
- Position circles or coins and ribbon ends in water. Allow water to freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Remove frozen medals and award to deserving future Olympians.