Saturday, October 15, 2011

Asian Cucumber and Peanut Salad: What I Crave


Since making it myself for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I cannot get enough of this Chinese salad.  It is my attempt to replicate one of my favorite dishes at a restaurant I frequented during my two plus years in Jilin Province, China.

What is funny is that during my pregnancies in Asia, I had strong cravings for American food.  This time I around, I've been craving authentic Asian food.  Here I have found a perfect tangy-sweet-salty fix.  Added bonus: it takes about 5 minutes to put it together.


Ingredients:
3-4 small seedless cucumbers, or 1 large English cucumber
1/4 cup Spanish peanuts
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.  Peel and quarter cucmbers.  Cut into 2-inch pieces.
2.  In a small bowl, sitr together garlic, vinegar, chili sauce, and oils.
3.  Transfer cucumber to serving bowl and toss with dressing.  Toss in peanuts just before serving.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Looks delicious! I think if I tried it, I would crave it too!