Saturday, March 3, 2012

Homemade Baby Mitts



My newborn children have all excelled at scratching their faces with their tiny fingernails.  As a result, we have tried to keep their hands covered with mittens for the first few months.  In Asia, such mitts were ridiculously cheap, which makes sense because they don't require much material to sew.  Here in America, infant scratch mitts cost more and seem to run small.  So I decided to try sewing some mitts for my daughter at home, using my grandmother's sewing machine.


To my surprise, my 8-year-old insisted on getting involved when she saw what I was doing.  She helped cut out the material from one of her old stained T-shirts (using the unstained portions).  Then we took turns stitching the seams on the sewing machine.  I didn't actually plug in the machine, but opted to turn the wheel by hand so as to have better control around the curves.  The pre-finished hem of the T-shirt served as a casing for the elastic; then I closed the remaining openings by hand-stitching.


My eldest now wants to embroider her sister's name onto the mitts we made.  Very sweet idea, eh?

The materials we used were:
  • An old T-shirt
  • Scissors
  • Thread
  • Needle
  • Elastic
Some of my technical inspiration came from this scratch mitten tutorial, though our mitts did not have a lining.


Have your babies ever worn scratch mitts?

Join us this week at Try New Adventures Thursday.

No comments: