Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Without the Turkey

This year we get to celebrate Thanksgiving twice! We have so much to be thankful for, including the lives of our children, provision of a new job for my husband, and all the help we received from people before, during, and after our move across the border.

Canadian Thanksgiving (which is celebrated on the second Monday of October) has come and gone.  For that occasion, my husband and I shared the cooking; he did the duck, I made the sides and desserts.  Our American Thanksgiving menu and strategy will be quite similar, including him roasting the duck.

Our Simple Thanksgiving Menu:



Roast Duck

Green Beans

Wild Rice Dressing

Pumpkin Pie

While I like eating turkey, duck is more delicious.  I've never cooked a turkey in my life and have no plans to break my streak.  The only drawback with duck is that it is tricky to carve and eat, due to the higher bone-to-meat ratio.  But the rich flavor of the duck meat is, as we concluded last month, worth the work.  And duck is more affordable up here in Canada, especially compared to Cornish game hens, our former family tradition.

For our family, Thanksgiving is not only about food, it is about thanking God for everything he gives us.  We also enjoy spending time together and unwinding in front of a video, which will likely be A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving .  Also, my kids like to do crafts, but since turkey is not on our table, I look for craft ideas that go beyond the turkey theme.  Later this week, I will post at least one non-turkey craft project we have done.

What are your Thanksgiving holiday essentials?

2 comments:

asian~treasures said...

Games...for the young & old. This year, with my sister & her family, we played "Would you Rather." They had picked it up at a thrift store. It's a secular game & had some questionable cards, but if the adults read the cards, they could edit.

Lots of laughs!

We miss you guys!

Jone Martin said...

This day is going to celebrate for doing thanks to elders, friends, and youngsters. If you want to put the party on this day, you will make your house environment about the party from Interior Painting Services in Knoxville TN. And enjoyed this day with beloved ones.