Saturday, January 18, 2014

Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Cake Stand {Make One Instead}

Have you noticed that most of those lovely photos of cakes in magazines and on Pinterest include a cake stand?  At my other site, Swirls and Spice, I share recipes that I develop and try to make the food look enticing in the photos. But my budget is rather limited, so I don't own a lot of fancy props. I've contemplated buying a cake stand, but it just does not seem worth the money.  So I have done without and endeavored to avoid coveting cake stands and other lovely dishes I see.


Still, there are occasions where a pretty cake stand would come in handy, like the baby shower pictured above.  At the top left of the photo, if you look closely, you can see half of the Boston cream cupcakes I made sitting on a glass stand.  The rest are on a matching glass platter.

Instead of buying a rather expensive one-piece cake stand, I found two bowls and platters at the (Canadian) dollar store that I though would work.  And they did.  I spent less than $5.00 and I now have two convertible "cake stands" that double as bowls and serving plates.  I've used them frequently in the few two months for parties, family meals, and potlucks.  Below are some of the recipe photos that have included my bargain serveware.

at Swirls and Spice

at Swirls and Spice

If you've ever wished for a cake stand but lacked the money or space to have one in your kitchen, be not dismayed.  Simply find a fancy bowl and platter, invert the bowl under the platter, and voila!  You have a convertible cake stand!

 Recipe for Citrus Swirl Lemon Bars {from Swirls & Spice}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make different sweets and cakes. All the sweet are taste and delicious. Thank you for sharing interesting post with us. Further, The cabinet refinishing Manassas deliver the best work for homes and restaurants.

Unknown said...

The reverse osmosis filter chloramine shower filter California provide quality work at a low price. The benefits of using an RO filter with chloramine are:
*Removing chloramines from your drinking water *You no longer need to buy bottled water for drinking or cooking purposes *It

Unknown said...

You deliver the taste and delicious dishes. I like your post. Further, The Jetnet Envoy present the best informative knowledge.