Tuesday, May 20, 2014

3 Reasons Why Family Camp Was Just What We Needed

 I have good memories of going off to summer camp as a kid.  But my own family hadn't had a chance to go away to a camp until this past weekend.  And I'm so glad we went.  Here are three reasons why.

1.  The Fresh Air and Scenery

Where we live the land is flat and not particularly interesting.  There are no lakes, rivers, or ponds in our community, nor are there many flowers around, even after all the snow melts.  So it was lovely to enjoy the view at the water's edge and see the green hills of the Qu'Appelle Valley on our way there and back.  I spent many hours roaming the grounds with my youngest daughter and skipping rocks at the shoreline of the lake while my other children explored and collected rocks and shells.


2. The Food

I was unsure what to expect from the dining hall.  Memories of camp food from my childhood did not inspire me to expect much.  However, the volunteers at our camp made some fantastic meals and evening snacks for us.  The highlight was fresh donuts.  Move over Tim Horton's. Eunice makes some of the best in the country!






















3.   The Freedom!

The best feature for me and my husband was that our kids were not always with us.  Not only that, I was free from my household responsibilities like preparing meals and doing laundry, while my husband was able to leave his job responsibilities at the office for the whole long weekend.  So we relished the opportunities to listen to Bible teaching twice a day while our children were engaged elsewhere in the children's program.  And there were other moments to sit and talk when our kids were busy playing and running around the campground.  We came back truly refreshed.


What are your summer camp memories?
Do you have a favorite spot you like to go for getaways?






4 comments:

grtlyblesd said...

That sounds heavenly! I could really use a getaway like that.

Kimberly @ A Time to Freeze said...

I want to go to family camp now! My hubby grew up going, but I never went to any sort of camp until I worked at one during college and loved every second of it. Family camp is nice because the kids have fun and the parents have a little break, too.

Krystal Nielson said...

Thanks for sharing this, When you decide to get rid of your unwanted vehicle, the process does not take long with car removal brisbane

All we are waiting for, before we can tow away your vehicle, is a confirmation from your end.

Anonymous said...

You share interesting post with us. I learn more through this post. Further, The painting contractors Miami can be very beneficial for your home. Homeowners who want to give their house a new look or increase its value should consider hiring one of these professional painters.